Friday, April 22, 2011

C4T #4

Melissa B.'s Blog "The Scholastic Scribe"
Comment #1
I read a blog post by Melissa B. titled "Shall We Dance?". This post was written to commemorate one of the victims from the Virginia Tech massacre. Melissa posted a picture of Leslie Sherman, who was a senior in her French class on the day of the shooting. The picture was of Leslie smiling at her Senior Prom. She was full of life and did not deserve to die. The day of the shooting, 10 students in the French class plus her teacher were gunned down.
I left this comment on Melissa's Blog:
Hi! My name is Skye LaDart and I am a student in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I enjoyed reading your post, yet I wish Leslie was still with us. I think it is great that you chose to commemorate someone instead of discuss that tragic day. What a thoughtful post, well done!
Comment #2
I read a blog post by Melissa B. Titled "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". In this post, Melissa wrote a list of ten things students these days should know. She got the idea from a writer's workshop offering. Her list was very interesting and included all kinds of information she thinks students should know. I enjoyed number 10 the most, but all of them were equally well written!
Her list:
10. You and your Mother should know that when you run into me at the grocery store that I'm shopping for my family's dinner. This is decidedly not an opportune moment for a quickie parent-teacher conference.

9. You should know that respect is a two-way street. When you say something mean or thoughtless, I often take offense. Words hurt.

8. You should know that manners matter. When I ask you how you're feeling at 7:20 a.m. on a Monday, you shouldn't say "I'm tired." Isn't that stating the obvious? You should also respond with a pleasant rejoinder. "I'm fine thank you, Mrs. Scribe. How are you?" would be a good place to start.

7. You should know that when I assign you a difficult task (paper, timed writing, multiple AP journal entries, etc.), I'm putting myself through twice as much work as I'm loading up on you. In order to be a decent teacher, I must grade all those papers, you cotton-headed ninny muggins!

6. You should know that when you do an assignment for me, you should at least pretend that you care about your work. Typing (and I use that word loosely) an assignment, printing it out, and stapling it backwards and upside down without giving it another thought is not your best effort, now, is it?

5. You should know that even though I was born when the world was very, very young, I'm not a prehistoric throwback. In other words, life did not start when you entered this blessed world, nor are you the be-all, end-all authority on everything. Sometimes a life lived long is a life well-lived.

4. You should know that when you disrespect me, you disrepect yourself.

3. You should know that personal grooming in public is disgusting. No hair-styling, makeup-applying, nor zit-popping in Room 215. Thank you.

2. You should know that when you don't listen, you're only hurting yourself.

1. You should know that I have a life, too. I just spent a week of that life in San Francisco, reading, sleeping, walking around, taking a few photos and thinking about worldly concerns that don't concern you. As it should be, I reckon. See you Monday morning, OK?

I left this comment on Melissa's Blog:
Hello again! I really enjoyed reading this post! It really spoke to me. I found everything humorous, however, I also absolutely agree with what you stated. Respect is definitely a two-way street and manners are important! Public grooming did not surprise me because I have witnessed this by former classmates and I think it should be done at home and not in the classroom!

A stick figure with an idea

No comments:

Post a Comment