Sunday, April 17, 2011

Blog Assignment #12

For Blog Post #12, Watch the video "Old vs. New" (1:05). Then, write two or more paragraphs about your reaction to this video.

Old vs. New
This video was short, yet very much to the point. In this video, there is a newspaper and a computer arguing. The newspaper seems very grumpy and agitated, while the computer speaks like a nerd and is timid and nice. They are going back and forth arguing about their accomplishments.
I think this video is a great representation of attitudes today. I know a lot of older people who are mad and refuse to even try out technology because they were born in a completely different era. The computer mentions having many accomplishments before the computer was even here. I think we need to convince older adults that technology is great, it is simply improving old ways and making them easier and more proficient for us. The computers role is also stereotypical. The computer is a geek, but is very timid compared to the newspaper. The computer also seems to display an attitude of being the best.
At the end of the video, the computer and newspaper stop arguing and eventually ask each other for something. The newspaper asks the computer for news and the computer asks the newspaper for money. I think this was a really important part of the video, because even though we think we have perfected some things everything still needs something further. The newspaper has lost stories to the computer and the computer is not making money because news and most everything is free on the internet. In the end, I think I would vote on the computer. Wouldn't you?
Newspaper Laying on a Computer

3 comments:

  1. Skye,

    I think this was a very cute video, but since it is so short, I would probably include at least one or two more videos in the assignment. After reading your response, I agree that I would vote on the computer. I also think it is interesting how they depicted the old versus the new, and we constantly see this debate taking place. I agree that we need to convince individuals the benefits of technology, but I also like the old school newspaper and other written documents. I think the point made at the end about them both still needing each other is great. This is definitely an interesting and effective way to present this debate. This is a great find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great video as well. I totally agree with you about we need to get the older people and the people who think computers and technology is bad and just show them how easier it is making are lives. There are so many great things that can be do with the new technology we have. I also like the point made at the end where they still both find out that they need each other to function as well. Great job on the finding of this video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Skye! I thought this video was a GREAT representation of the younger generation Vs. the older generation when it comes to technology. I love how in the end they both needed something from each other. Having this for a blog assignment would be something different and "not so time consuming" but would still make students aware of what they might can do to convince the older generation. Maybe that would also be something you could have included.....Students must tell what they would do to convince a 'Newspaper' that the 'Computer' is the way to go........And yes, I too would have to agree on the computer, it's hard to believe someone would choose anything but that.

    ReplyDelete