Friday, March 11, 2011

Blog Assignment #8

Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
These videos were quite amazing. I must say, they were almost hard for me to follow because of the technology. I think what Richard Miller describes is scary and exciting. I cannot even fathom this kind of technology, yet it is right around the corner. He described being able to tell which city is the happiest at a single moment. That really makes me think about how advanced we are becoming. It also makes me want to learn even more about technology, because I know it will be a big part of my student's lives. I need to use technology for my benefit in the classroom.
I think I will be prepared to write with multimedia. I really want to engage in this new technology, and learn to use tools. I think writing with multimedia will be beneficial for teachers because our students will be growing up with this technology. Multimedia writing also allows us to do everything in an instant, and this is important for our hard-working, fast-paced society. I cannot help but to think of all the extra time I will have with this new technology!
I really enjoyed watching this video. I think his ideas are genius, and I think everyone should prepare for a world of technology. His idea about Humanities and the Sciences coming together was also a great idea. If more people thought outside the box like this, just think of everything that could be accomplished. We are entering a new age of technology and I feel prepared. As a future teacher, I feel that it is important to become technologically literate.
The Chipper Series
EDM 310 For Dummies
These two videos were really fun to watch. They did a really good job acting and getting a message across. EDM 310 For Dummies' primary message was that EDM 310 does not have to be scary and aggravate you. There are great tools to help you with class, and it can be fun! The Chipper Series was about doing the best you can do in college no matter what circumstances try to stop you from achieving your goals. A video I would like to create or participate in creating would be a video about mini art projects you can do in a classroom that are fun, but not time-consuming. I think this would help inspire many teachers to be more creative in their classroom.
Learn To Change, Change To Learn
I agree with the arguments made in this video. These educators are arguing that the classroom we all think of is completely outdated. Children do not like to go to school because it is boring. What better way to encourage knowledge and creativity than to make it fun for the children. Technology is a huge part of kid's lives. They text, facebook, twitter, and everything else. If we can make a classroom using this technology and using more of a hands-on approach, students will want to learn more and solve problems. I think it is definitely time to make a change to the "normal" classroom.
RSA Animate-The Secret Powers of Time
This video discusses how children are present hedonist and how we need to teach them to be more future oriented. Children today are bored with the traditional way of teaching, and it is that simple. All we need to do is make it exciting for them! Technology is a huge part of children's lives, and they are growing up in a new world. We need to incorporate technology into the classroom, and get rid of the traditional form of teaching!This video affects the growth of people's education and their drive for success because education cannot happen if we continue with the same methods of teaching as 50 years ago. Children need to understand that their future is important, and they need knowledge to help them achieve their future goals.
RSA Animate- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
This video is about how money motivates our society. After doing a test where the better you did, the more money you got, economists were surprised by the results. The students did not do better with a larger reward. Money is a motivator in the workplace, but employees need to be self-motivated to be happier in their work environment.We need to teach children to be self-motivated learners. We can grill facts into kids heads all day long, but they will never benefit unless they have the desire to learn. We do not need to teach facts, we need to teach kids the skills to obtain knowledge and learn to the best of their abilities!
Dream Graffiti Picture

3 comments:

  1. Hey Skye! I enjoyed reading you post, I also really loved the "This is how we dream" post. It was crazy to watch and follow along, but definitely made it very interesting! The Learn to Change video was huge to me as well, because my husband had that problem throughout school where he was huge into the 'virtual' world, school would just bore him! Thanks so much for posting! Great Read! Good Luck the rest of the semester!!

    Rebecca Sisson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skye I think that every video or Blog that I've read all give me the same feeling,and that feeling is "Scared". They say people are afraid of what they do not know and Technology in the Classroom is not only scary but it may be a downfall as well. Yes classrooms are outdated but we must learn how to incorporate the old with the new.But I love Your Blog and I totally agree with everything you say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skye-- I love your last line. It so accurately wraps up my philosophy of teaching. I plan to use facts as a means to teach kids how to research, connect, and produce expressions of knowledge. Thanks for your insightful reflection.

    ReplyDelete