Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

The Networked Student
This video is a great way to inform future teachers about how students will learn. Children are on computer now more than they ever were, and the numbers are just getting larger. I think it is very important to be technologically literate for the sake of the students. Not only is it accessing higher learning, but as we saw with the iSchool video, technology is allowing us to cut out costs in the schools. I did not consider myself to be technologically literate before this class, but now I completely see the importance of it.
I feel like I am prepared to be a teacher of a networked student. I want to be on the same level as my students, and enlighten their intellectual journey. I want my students to learn by doing and not by me lecturing all day. I want my students to enjoy learning, and I think technology is a way to conquer this goal. Kids are already on the computer most of the day, why not give them the resources to learn while they are on it?
In this video, the student asked, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" This a a major issue being discussed by all teachers. As he showed, I think the answer is clear. Students will always need teachers! We need to be there to guide them, to offer support, to care, and to instill knowledge. Computers will never have emotions and passion like we do (I hope!). Technology is only a way to broaden our education and make it better, not to take over.
A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment(or PLN)
This student's video shows how many students are learning in today's classroom. Technology is such a big part of schools now, and it is hard to not include this into the classroom. This student spoke of many advantages of a PLE, including "being able to hold a pet in class" through her computer. Her PLE is very similar to my PLN. I use Google Docs and Presentation for many of my classroom assignments. Also, for my EDM310 class, many of my assignments are found online at our class blog. I love this idea, because it allows less time for lecture and more time for creative learning!
Bill Ferriter
Michael Staton
In these two posts, interactive white boards are the topic. These two individuals discuss why whiteboards are unnecessary. They make very good arguments about the cost, having teachers stand and lecture like always, and how there is not very many things you can do on it that you cannot do on a computer for free. I visited a blog that offered positive insights about whiteboards. The blog post discussed positive ways whiteboards can be used. One that caught my attention was that it allows the teacher to be able to walk around the room hands free. Another effective way is that students can use it to create projects and other activities. These two benefits are very important for classrooms today. We need to get students involved, not just taking notes! I think both arguments are logical, but I think it is great that schools are at least trying to take a step in the right direction.
The link to the blog post about positive outcome of whiteboards is:
What are some ways the interactive whiteboard can be used in the classroom?
Teacher Image

1 comment:

  1. Keep us posted on your thoughts about smartboards after you do your SMARTboard lesson!

    ReplyDelete