Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog Assignment #3



Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video definitely captured college experience. First of all, the room was very familiar, and I have sat in many rooms that have looked like that. The students in the video have a lot of opinions, but everyone in the room is quiet and sitting there bored. This accurately represents many classes I have been in on campus. I really liked the phrase about if the walls could speak. I would love to hear what the walls have seen!

College students are a lot like the video. Our days consist of more than 26 hours, but there is only 24 hours in a day! I am definitely a multi-tasker, I have to be. Everyone brings laptops to school, but it is true that people get on their favorite websites instead of doing class work. I have always had a person who skipped almost all semester as well. Don't they know they are paying to take these courses? If I could add something to this video it would be the extra work moms in college have as well. I would also add that teachers need to incorporate students interests in the course so more learning and less memorization can take place.


"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines

I really enjoyed reading this post. I have never considered technology taking place to a teacher. I hear about computers taking over the classroom all of the time and how technology will be incorporated in all classrooms all over. It makes perfect sense that teachers are the most important tool to student learning, I just have never thought about technology needing teachers. Teachers are more important than technology!

I completely agree that teachers need to be learners. If we do not enjoy learning, why should we expect our students to? Also, if we do not teach creativity, our students will not have a chance in the future. Technology can work great with student learning, but it is the teacher's job to know how to incorporate technology productively. We cannot expect technology to do our job, we must work with technology to do a better job.


Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Mr. Fisch's main idea was "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write". I agree with this statement. When literacy became a norm, then getting a job without literacy was unheard of, and the same is happening for technology. Technology is taking over whether we like it or not. I do not necessarily like this fact, but it is true and we must embrace it.

Kids today are growing up with advanced technology, and if we do not understand their culture, we cannot expect to educate them. I think many older people may find Mr. Fisch's words harsh because they did not grow up with this technology, but his words are true. Every job today is incorporating technology, and no one is going to hire you if you cannot work a computer. I know my parents hate all of this new technology, they are 65, but I keep telling them everything is on computers now and they have to learn!

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

These occurrences are remarkable to see. It is easy to think about how many people are using technology, but to actually see the numbers is unreal. This means that, as a teacher, I must learn about and incorporate technology into my classroom to better facilitate student learning. If students love technology, they will love learning using technology as well.

Me and a Student At Foundations Day Care

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Skye!

    Great post, but I there are q few questions that I would like to raise.

    How is technology taking over? Isn't technology manmade? You say you do not like the fact that technology has become such a major part of our society, so does that mean that you think we should place a limit on human advancement?

    Also, be sure to add title and alt modifiers to your pictures and links to your post!

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete