Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blog Assignment #4




Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? by Scott McLeod

Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor from Ames, Iowa. I can honestly see both sides of this issue. I agree that technology is extremely important, and if we refuse to let our children use it they will be way behind everyone else. Technology is taking over, and it seem we do not have a choice but to embrace it. I also understand that parents do not want their children on a computer all day and that they may look up or do inappropriate things on a computer. There are ways to monitor your children and communication is very important as well. However, I do not want my child on a computer 24/7 because experiencing life is just as important.

The iSchool Initiative

The high school student who made this video made several wonderful points. He describes a school completely ran by the iTouch. There are tons of apps already available on the iTouch that can be used to run a classroom effectively. These apps include: calendar, presidents, constitution, email, etc. The iTouch would cost $150/per student, but would save $600/per student.

I absolutely love this video! I cannot believe a high school student could think of such an amazing idea! Not only does iSchool allow students to work with technology, but the school saves tons of money and goes green at the same time! This could help with so many problems the world faces today. If everyone committed to iSchool, we could really change education (and the world)for the better.

The Lost Generation

I really enjoyed this video! She read a passage that was hopeless, and then she read the same passage backwards and this made the message positive. I love this technique she used, I thought it was very cool! I think a lot of people are giving into the lost generation. Everyone must remember that even though technology is changing the world, true happiness comes from our family and loved ones. It also comes from doing things we enjoy while changing the world.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

Wow, I was truly amazed that this was possible! I guess it should not surprise me with the advancement of technology today. To think that all these people from different countries can come together and sing so beautiful is amazing. The music was very calming and I really enjoyed listening to it. If they Eric Whitacre can make this happen, think of all the things we could accomplish with technology!

Teaching in the 21st Century

To teach in the 21st century means to teach skills. Children can Google everything now and this means teachers are not needed. However, children need us to teach them skills and to be creative. I feel that teachers will always be needed because technology can only do so much. I think we need to use technology to our advantage. We need to teach students using different tools of technology. Creativity cannot be learned from a computer. As teachers, we need to teach our students on many different levels. I think teachers are needed more than technology!

Family is Important

4 comments:

  1. As it pertains to your post about Scott Mcleod, I certainly agree that I would not want my children on the computer 24/7 either. In fact, until they reached about 10 years old I'm not sure I would want them on the internet period. They will have plenty of time in their future to worry about becoming technologically literate. In my opinion, being a young child is about playing and having fun outdoors as much as possible and how you put it, "experiencing life".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? by Scott McLeod:
    We could limit the how our kids use it, put blocks up for sites and only allow certain other sites. They would not have to be on the computer all day just some part of the day because they could do homework and all types of items on it. Let them learn young because they will be able to do more with a computer at a younger age then we could. 


    The iSchool Initiative:
    I believe and would love to jump on this program today, because it is going to change school. Having schools take this on would help in one of the most talked about things in schools and thats money. It could change a lot but I do not think it is going to change the world. 


    The Lost Generation:
    I really enjoyed it also, have never seen anything like this. There used to be a saying that if you played a country song back then you got your life back. Well if you play this song back then it becomes something great. Yes true happiness comes from family. 


    Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir:
    This I thought it was one of the best choirs I have seen. How they put it together with all the people singing and also having them sounding nice was a great video.

    Teaching in the 21st Century:
    We do need to teach using different technology and blend that in with other teaching techniques. Computers can only do so much if we do not know how to use them correctly. We need to get kids to be more creative thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skye,

    I think you are on to something with your analysis of the iTouch movie. "I can't believe a high school student could think of such an amazing idea!" They are capable, but we wouldn't have known if his teacher hadn't given him the freedom or encouragement to produce. He was able to SHOW us his ideas.

    How will you let this perspective of the movie translate into your classroom?

    Since you liked Eric Whitacre's video so much-- you should check out Allie's movie as well. She combined many of the Spring 2011 my sentence videos to make a comprehensive movie. It's pretty cool! Click here to view it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Skye,
    I first would like to agree with you on your comment about Dr. McLeod's video. You said, "I do not want my child on a computer 24/7 because experiencing life is just as important." I totally agree with you on that. I think that it's hard not to get caught up with technology and let it run our lives. However, sometimes it's just good for everyone to have life experiences and to just get out and do things.

    You also made a profound comment on the last video regarding Teaching in the 21st Century. You said you think that, "teachers are needed more than technology." I think that idea is already becoming a debatable issue. As much as I don't want this to be so and as much as I want to be a teacher and want a job, I think teachers are quickly going to become extinct if we don't learn how to adapt to the technology around us. I think that the iSchool idea brings it to everyone's attention that teachers are just the liaison and not the source of the education anymore.
    You really made me think when you made that comment!

    ReplyDelete