Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blog Assignment #14

After missing the metaphor in Tom Johnson's "Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home", I am required to answer these questions to improve my future skills.

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
I missed the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post. I think I missed the metaphor because I tend to take readings too seriously. Sometimes I can spot a metaphor, but this one was a little harder to recognize. I thought he was trying to convey a deeper message by using the pencils as an example, I did not know the pencils were the actual metaphor.
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
I encounter metaphors regularly, but I have encountered way more since I have made a note to look for them. Recently, I told my daughter the Easter bunny would come to visit soon and bring lots of candy (I'm glad she does not know what a metaphor is). I also read a childrens book recently, only to discover another metaphor. Her necklace stood for hope.
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
We can simply educate our students more about metaphors and give plenty of examples for them to practice spotting and understanding them. I think if students understand why we use metaphors, they will appreciate them more and use them in their own writings. I also think this will better help them understand metaphors.
4. Why do we use metaphors?
We use metaphors for many reasons. Metaphors add interest to conversations and writing. They invoke interest and curiosity. They also allow people discuss racy topics, such as sex, without actually mentioning the topic (using the stork story). Metaphors can be used to represent art and to think about things differently (such as the computers in Tom Johnson's story). Metaphors are important and very beneficial.
Boy with a thinking cap on

No comments:

Post a Comment